Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Pet Peeve #2


This is a special pet peeve because it falls under the category of things I dislike about myself. Let’s begin….

Discuss \di-ˈskəs\ - verb
·      Talk about (something) with another person or group of people
·      Talk or write about a topic in detail, taking into account different ideas and opinions

Argue \ˈär-(ˌ)gyü\ - verb
·      to persuade, drive, etc., by reasoning:
·      to show; prove; imply; indicate

In most cases, I would prefer to engage in a discussion over an argument any day. When I do break out the argument boxing gloves, I like to do it when I know my opposition and I know that they know, I love them.

So what is pet peeve #2?

I really don’t like it when I’m swimming in a discussion and suddenly realize that my opponent is wading in an argument.  I hate it because, well… 1)- I’ve lost the upper hand and security of stable ground and 2) where I thought we were working together to solve an issue my opponent is only trying to drown me.

I fall for it hook, line and sinker almost every time!

And hey, if your curiosity will not be stayed…you can read the details of my latest folly, here. The discussion turns to an argument when one "Pablo" enters the scene. 

No comments: