Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Paths of Glory-Review


Paths of Glory
By Jefferey Archer

Synopsis:
George Mallory was the man determined to be the first to reach the summit of Mount Everest This book tells the story of his life and the paths he took that would prepare him for the challenge that would eventually claim his life.

Review:
Action, Pride, Romance, Politics…this book contains many elements necessary for a story to entice readers from across many demographic boards. I have no relevant interest in mountaineering yet I was immediately drawn in and found myself smiling and laughing at some of the main characters antics. This guy really loved to climb and would do just about anything to do so. It was amusing.

So why didn’t I love this book?

After asking myself this question over and over I think I’ve finally put my finger on it. When an author writes a story about an actual event or person, I want to be able to separate the fact from fiction or be so drawn into the story that it doesn’t matter. With this book I was unable to do either. The fact sorting eventually became such a distraction that I consequently missed the overall theme and enjoyment of the story.

I am concerned that if I wanted to share what I’ve learned from books such as this, I would run the risk of being scrutinized for repeating something that I cannot adequately defend as truth. Lucky me, I guess. I didn’t learn anything, at least nothing that Google can’t verify, so I don’t have to bother with that concern…I give this book 1-star.


3 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

I just discovered your blog and I've been looking through it. I think I'm really going to like it here!

Apron Appeal said...

Jill-Welcome WELCOME!

Katie said...

only one huh? Interesting cause the average score on goodreads is 3.82 so I put it on my to read list. I usually read one book from an author and if I don't like it then I write it off as an author issue.